From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:30:56 -0400
Hi there, in seeing some of the posts on the local Fla LC list and on LACTNet with regard to the storm ,I have noticed  so many LC's and bf counselors voice the same frustration with media, emergency planning, and getting the word out about safe infant feeding. Sadly ,we women ( groups) often REACT with all our hearts and soul rather than PLAN.

A position paper and even "emergency feeding plan" that could promote breastfeeding while giving detailed safe bottle feeding information is what is needed. Most of the well meaning press releases do nothing to educate women about safe bottle feeding info - and relactation and breastfeeding is just NOT getting air time. Perhaps if the info is bound up together, it will get some attention.

Perhaps with uniform statements about safe INFANT feeding ( breast bottle and trying to get back to breast) the press would be more inclined to address the issue rather than just a few of us "lactivists" writing in to news and print media.  If the formula companies decide to start doing PR about safe bottle feeding during crises, I imagine it will be a lovely campaign complete with lots of glitz and air time.

I did a detailed plan for new breast and bottle feeding mothers in our local paper before hurricane season- as part of my LC studies with UIU, and it was printed, but I am one small island community of 600 births per year.

I need to TURN OFF my tv, but this morning, I saw many babies sucking on bottle with unknown non-milk liquids inside. The babies all hollow-eyed and lethargic looking. Too sad for words. Looks like the photos of Somalia or Niger.

Mirine R. Dye,
Community Doula, Childbirth and Lactation Educator
Florida Keys and Key West

Mothers in Paradise New Mother Support Network
www.keysmama.org