Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:33:22 -0500
I disagree about doing electrolytes.  But, for the rest we are not
disagreeing.  I was not for a moment suggesting the baby not be fed.  But
observing the feeding tells you if the baby is being fed.  If he isn't,
change something, fix the latch, use compression.  If that doesn't work then
supplement, using a lactation aid. If that doesn't work finger feed or cup
feed.

As a pediatrician, I disagree with admitting these babies to the hospital
unless they do not feed at all.  If they feed, they are no worse out of
hospital than in.  Look at the studies on dehydration.  Despite careful IV
fluids, many of these babies are not prevented from having neurologic
abnormalities.  I have had only one suffer permanent neurologic problems,
and he, I admitted because he wouldn't feed. But there was a question too of
asphyxia at birth, so we are not even sure that his problem was due to
dehydration.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC