From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 07:17:34 +0100
Jane - My goodness!  A Eureka moment!  What a fascinating explanation
for the abrupt suspension of lactation I've seen.  Thank you so
much!  Am trying to remember the circumstances of other mothers - one
who had emergency surgery for bowel obstruction (no apparent effect
on lactation), and another whose milk had already come in very well,
had post-partum psychosis at 9 days, hospitalized and put on a drip
with very high doses of chlorpromazine, and again, appeared to suffer
abrupt lactation failure, soft breasts, no need to pump/express, her
family took over complete care of the baby who was never breastfed
again.  Then, as I said, I've worked with two mothers who suffered
such severe post-partum haemorrhage that they were eventually
diagnosed with Sheehan's.  But there were others where the HB count
was very low (blood transfusions were almost never given in Zimbabwe)
and lactogenesis was effectively delayed but eventually came in
slowly - one not until about six weeks postpartum, but the mothers
kept up efforts to bring in the milk, and went on to exclusively
breastfeed from that point.

I guess all we can conclude is that there could be a very
individualized response or effect on lactation to PPH, trauma, and
the drugs used to treat the mother.  But you've given an answer to
one piece of the puzzle :-)

Gratefully

Pamela