From:
Pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:12:55 -0400
Message text written by Lactation Information and Discussion
>using  products designed for managing lactation problems vs using=
  homemade devices, I thought I would ask again.  Are there safety issues=
  with  using feeding tubes and syringes in this way?  <
Hello Netters,
Short and simple, any product that is used for something other than
manufacters directions/recommendations is a liability.  Being in the LC
field for 20 years now, I have seen many types of products and have an
incredible collection of many, included the homemade ones.  I have to
admit, I at one time or another would create a makeshift product.  That was
back in the good old days, when I did not have a clear understanding of
product liability.  If anything would ever happen to a baby/mother with
using a product other than what it was meant for, you would go to court
with no leg to stand on.  No company would back you up.  That is why it is
important that as a health care provider, IBCLC, LLL, etc.   you explain
proper usage of products and pumps and show them the direction pamphlet
when ever you give a product to a client.  It is then their liablility if
they use it incorrectly.  Medela does carry full product liability
insurance and will be there for you, when using their products.  Any
questions, you can contact me.

PS- just a little note.  In regards to the breast shells that have been
discussed lately, I did do a National survey a few years ago on breast
shells.  I want to first mention that the study that was done on Effect of
Hoffman Exercises and Breast Shells done many years ago by midwives, Mary
Renfrew, etc.,  used older breast shells and there was no statement in the
study of what prenatal or postpartum support mothers received.  In my
survey, there are LCs still using the breast shells pre and post delivery,
but most of them  acknowledged that the lactation support was just if not
more important than the shells.    Some did comment that, as I also have
found, that it is a mental crutch.  Psychological, if it is going to help
the mother and does not hurt her, what is wrong with it?  The worst thing I
feel is telling a mother  (whatever product you are using) that this is
going to  save her breastfeeding experience or this product will correct
your BF problem.  They are only there to assist and be a transitionary
tool.  Off my post now.  Take all.
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc.
Naperville, Il - sunny and loving summer