From:
Patti Spiegelberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:48:26 -0400
I have searched the archives but cannot find any help there.  I am a CNM employed by a hospital working in lactation services.  The hospital would like to expand my role to provide full service outpatient care for breastfeeding women which would include treatment of things like mastitis, thrush, ordering pump rentals, etc.  There is no one else in our community doing this or interested in doing it.

The problems comes in now because there are no mid-level practitioners employed by my hospital (and never have been) so the battle is on to see if I need supervision (VP of medical affairs says yes), who "gets" to supervise me (he's a cardiologist but thinks my director-a nurse- is unqualified and that he should), who I should report to, etc.  He's appauled to find that I have prescriptive authority and that my state (Wyoming) doesn't require physician supervision.

Is anyone out there an APN working as an LC for a hospital under similiar circumstances that could share their job description or anything else that might help?

Thank you.
Patti Gardner, CNM, MSN
Lactation Services
United Medical Center