Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:22:57 EST
Dear lactnetters,
I am looking for information regarding extreme overproduction in a first
time
mom I have as a patient, who has a 20 day old, and the use of birth control
pills for a short period of time to slow things down for her.  I have tried
for 3 weeks using the standard treatments (one side feeds, even for 2
consecutive feeds, cabbage 3 to 5 times/day, sage tea/parsely.......) the
baby is doing and gaining fine - I will be checking this week, but no
complaints of discomfort - some cough,choke.  The mom is in constant pain of
fullness and ache - nipples continue to be scabbed so she is at high risk
for
mastitis and even depression at this rate.  I have her pumping only one side
q 3 hrs for the next 48 hours to heal and until I can find out the dose and
length of recommended time for ocp's.

TIA!
Holly McClain RN,IBCLC