From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 17:50:48 PST
I have been wanted to share these thoughts for many years...and finally I have the screen of
people who can give me feedback. About ten years ago I had a La Leche meeting...I think it was
the third...We had several veteran mothers with more than on child..several first time
mothers...and two new mothers that were at their first meeting. We had both religous and secular
mothers....all were born in Israel. It all started when one mother said that she had read that
women could reach orgasm by breastfeeding, and she has been waiting and waiting and it hasn't
happened yet.This led the group into deciding to talk about sex and breastfeeding. A mother of
two popped up and said she was not aware of the sex of her child when she changes his
diaper...which lead to a lively discussion...I frankly always was aware of my childrens' sex
..fortunately I was the leader so I just keep flowing with the thoughts....Suddenly the two new
mothers said that they had prayed all their pregnancy that they would have girls because they
couldn't possibly nurse a boy baby. (this was before everyone knew what sex child they were
having) The mother sitting next to me said that she had never thought of it, but being the
mother of two boys she would feel funny breastfeeding a girl. This floored me as I had never
thought about the sex of a child and willingness to BF. The next mother to throw a bombshell was
a mother with many children who said that her husband said that as long as she persists in
breastfeeding he will not go near here and therefore she was planning to feed for two years. It
was an interesting meeting. We did come up with some good pointers...1.BF first or you might
spritz/or 2.the baby will get up the minute you cuddle up...even if he just ate. 3. Get your
husband to come home at 11 am...because at 11pm your pillow looks better..to him too.4. There is
always tommorow. I was disturbed by the thought that the sex of the baby might have a predictive
weight in whether some women will bf...I had never thought of that. I found much written about
the lenth of time boys are nursed as opposed to girls in some societies. How mothers hold boys
and girls differently...etc...I spoke to our sexologist...who had nothing great to contribute.
To this day
I have not come across anything specific.... has anyone had a client express a a simular
feeling?...anybody read something?
Is this something we should include in an interview? Could this be tied in with sex
abuse...social conditioning?-------------------------------------
Name: Toby Gish R.N.IBCLC
E-mail: Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 07/01/96