Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:59:50 -0500
Lyla wolfernstein raises some interesting questions. When babies are
unable latch I give the mother choices about her options. I always offer
the options and then repect their choice. It has been my experience that
whether the baby is bottlefed or fingerfed or cupfed, the baby goes to
the breast when he or she can. What I have also observed, is that
mothers really want to breastfeed their babies. They do not just give up
because bottlefeeding is so easy.

One mother who I saw for her second baaby who was not latching had a
similar problem with her first. She fingerfed for 2 weeks before giving
up totally on breastfeeding. She felt overwhelmed by fingerfeeding
because it felt so medical. When she called me, she wanted to breastfeed
but knew she could not fingerfeed with an 18 month old in addition to
pumping. She was thrilled when I asked her if she could manage pumping
and bottlefeeding while we worked on latch. 2 weeks later they were a
happy breastfeeding couple. Bottlefeeding (along with pumping) saved the
day! Ann Anderson, RN,IBCLC private practice NJ