From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:17:49 -0400
Diane wrote:
> We also need to be aware of *what else* we might be doing that's new and
> different (biologically speaking) besides just measuring bilirubin.  Some
> years back, Ros Escott wrote on lactnet of her visit to Thai hospitals
that
> adhere to a concept they call The Three Sucklings - early, frequent, and
> proper - and about the lack of "routine" problems she saw in those
> hospitals.  In part, her post said,
>
> >We saw a lot of abandoned plastic cots. I was told that despite
rooming-in
> >there had been a problem with jaundice.  They got rid of the cots, put
the
> >babies in the beds, and the jaundice stopped.  That=B9s frequent
suckling, f=
> olks,
> >not what we play around with.

I think this is a very important point. I had some jaundice with my first
baby, who was born in hospital and fed more or less according to the
hospital schedule. (I cheated.) Fortunately, I had a good doctor who noticed
the jaundice starting and sent me home with instructions to nurse him all
the time and expose him to the sun.

But my next three babies were in my bed, in constant contact, nursing 35
times a day, and no noticeable jaundice. Not much in the way of weight loss,
either - my daughter, in fact, was four ounces over her birth weight by day
five.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario