From:
Shannon Victor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 20:50:37 EDT
This is my first post to lactnet, let me begin by introducing myself.  I am
Shannon Victor located in Orchard Park, NY.  I am a Certified Lactation
Educator, LLL leader, WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, and preparing to take
the exam this July.  That having been said, I'd like to request assistance
from anyone who can offer it.  The situation is this:

A mom I am currently working with has a 6 week old.  Her cousin's wife was
killed in a car accident leaving behind a four month old exclusively
breastfed child on 5/20/00.  The baby refused all bottles, nipples, spoons,
cups, eyedroppers - thus ended up being hospitalized on 5/22/00, hooked up to
IV's for fluid.  Dad asked his cousin if she would consider feeding the baby
who curreently nurses approximately 5x a day per DAD.  Caution has been
discussed regarding transmission,  increasing her supply, sustaining her
baby, also the possible/probable refusal of the 4 mo. old taking the breast.
I'm sure the baby is also orally over stimulated.  Dad was going to try
finger feeding today and wants to use breastmilk as the baby is also giving
major rejection to the formula.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  You may contact me either here
or my private e-mail.

Thank you,
Shannon Victor,  BS, CLE, WIC, LLL