From:
Erica Stapper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 00:02:00 )

Hope someone can help me. I work with a mom.(permission to post) Baby girl
is 6 weeks old. Third child, mother breastfed the other children for a long
time without problems.

Since two weeks she has burning  stabbing pain in one breast for at least
one hour after a feed. It's not always present. No cracked nipples or other
problems. She had a good start. No signs of Raynaud or thrush.

There's only a little white spot on the top of the nipple, if you press the
aureola there's  some milk leaking out of that spot. We tried to open up the
spot a bit more but that didn't help. (no spaghetti-like tread was coming
out) No signs of a mastitis or galactocele. I recommanded to feed more often
 keep the nipple warm especially before feeding, to use lecithine  and
suggested to use daktarine gel for  the baby and creme for the nipple.
Although it is on one side I thought it might be thrush She treated both
nipples for one week and used the lecithine;no improvement.

 Feeding is never painless and some feedings are very painfull afterwards
(sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the evening) She is almost giving up
now with pain in her heart. (I suggested to feed only on the right side if
there is no solution)

Does anybody have a suggestion or idea what this could be?

Warmly,

Erica Stapper

IBCLC

The Netherlands