From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 12:59:13 +0900
>A new situation has just come up with a mom.  I cannot find in my available
>textbooks anything.  An 8 month old, healthy bf baby...no problems til now.
> Mom began menstruation two days ago for the first time.  On day one, the
>baby vomited "all the bm up."

Linda,
This sounds similar to a mum I spoke with and posted about last October.
She found baby vomited just *before* each of her periods. Her doctor told
her it was hormonal - due to oestrogen. However, I understand oestrogen is
not high at this time, and someone posted that it is more likely to be
caused by prostaglandins. It was only temporary each period, so she could
resume breastfeeding after each episode. She did find it all too much in
the end - it started at 3 months and she finally quit breastfeeding at
about 13 months, and the vomiting never happened again.

Hope this helps shed light for your mum, and encourages her to resume
feeding while she sorts out what can be done to help next month.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]