From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:06:07 -0500
Dear Jan,
I have wondered about this too and think maybe it is the fact that it is
the first milk removal ever and there is colostrum built up from
pregnancy. I have found this in a mother who is not expressing often. We
will get an ounce or so with that first pumping or nursing but then if
she removes the milk regularly, she won't get as much per time as she
did at the first milk removal when her breasts were storing the milk. Of
course, with better milk removal, her supple gradually increases.
I wonder if this is what is happening during those first hours after
birth. All during her last trimester, colostrum is being made and stored
in the breast. So you get that "stored" amount of colostrum in the first
milk removals. Because oxytocin is so high after a natural birth, the
body will be pushing it out through aveoli contractions as well as the
pressure from the hand so you will get even more.

Have no idea if this is true.

What does anyone think of this idea?

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC