From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:09:58 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/2005 5:10:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Yesterday a new mom was  asking me all sorts of questions about  babies and
schedules and that sort of  thing (especially the "how  long SHOULD the baby
be
eating on each side," and  "He's supposed to  eat every THREE hours,
right?").
So I said, "Well, how  long do  YOU eat breakfast?  And is it related to the
amount you   consume?"  Sheepish laughter.  "None of the nurses are going to
come
into your room and tell you that if you didn't eat for at least 20  minutes,
you  weren't getting enough, are they?  And, if you are  thirsty, do you
check
the clock and make sure it has been at least 3  hours since you go to the
sink
and get a drink?  And don't some days  you feel as though you can't stay out
of the refrigerator, and other  days you just aren't all that hungry?  And
don't sometimes you  just nosh for comfort -- you aren't hungry, but oh,
wouldn't
that Reese's  Peanut Butter Cup just hit the spot right about now?"  So how
about we pretend your baby is a human being, and let him nurse when  he
wants
to nurse -- even though he JUST nursed and maybe he's  noshing for
comfort....and not bother him just because he didn't  nurse for the required
15  minutes
on each side...and not wake him up  Just Because It Has Been The Required
Three
Hours...."

They  usually get  it.

Jan, this is great!  I have been saying this to parents for  years.  But we
have to get the health care community to "get it" so the  parents will believe
us.
I still hear comments from staff such as; it has been 3 hours the baby  needs
to feed, only 10 minutes a side, don't let the baby feed too long or too
often.  Then I have doctors telling mothers similar things like not letting  the
baby nurse any closer than 2 hours, and give a bottle of formula at night so
the baby will sleep longer.  ARGUH!
I don't give up and we all have to get the community and then the health
care folks to get on the same page.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA