From:
Dena Bernhard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:16:28 -0500
Dear Lactnet professionals:

THANKS so much for the responses I have received regarding the topic
"BFD'ing mom of twins with mastitis/yeast".

I have to apologize in that the subject was misleading.  I stated in the
text that the Mom was pumping for twins, but set the precedent by
stating the mom was bf'ing in the subject.  SORRY!

I passed along all info I received to Donna (the LC), and she sends her
grateful THANKS!  She has given me more information to send out for
thought:

The Mom is *pumping*, regularly, about every 2-3 hours, for twins.  The
twins were premies, and never took to breastfeeding.  They have never
received ABM, ONLY EBM.  Yeah Mom!

Anyway, the Mom is experiencing deep throbbing pain in both breasts.
The pain worsens just before and just after pumping.  Also, both breasts
feel really hot.

Mom has been *alternating* on both antibiotics (Dicloxicillin) and
Fluconazole. The 1st round of antibiotics seemed to help, but then the
pain came back.  The second round of antibiotics helped some, but before
they were all gone the pain came back again.  Mom has had Diflucan also,
in all different doses.  She has also tried yeast creams and
hydrocortizone creams.

Mom had her milk cultured, and was told (not by LC) that the culture did
grow something sensitive to Cipro, which Mom is now on.  Mom is watching
babies closely for reaction to Cipro.  Mom can't tell any difference in
pain since being on Cipro.

Donna will query Mom more for possible abscess, but Donna wonders if
this is possible since the pain is bilateral.

Finally, Mom is also trying homeopathic methods to relieve the pain,
through seeing a rheumatologist/reflexologist.

Any thoughts?  Any/all help is *greatly* appreciated!

One final note:  I'm the messenger - returning the many favors this
really sweet LC has given me in helping me through
breastfeeding/working/pumping, please don't shoot me!  I apologize in
advance if I've lost anything in the translation.

THANKS!

Dena Bernhard
Software Engineer
Harris Information Systems Division