From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 19:49:33 -0500
 To be blunt--she needs a new doctor. Anyone who thinks artificial milk is medicine is very far off-base. Maybe the baby needs Fe--since the cord was probably cut prematurely, but the birth weight is not that small for GA. Even so--artificial milk should not be the source of Fe delivery and mom is endangering her child by following these instructions--now we may well have gut damage, potentially leading to micro-bleeding--causing anemia! This is just crazy. To support mom--I would give her "Just One Bottle" and tell her that you are very concerned about the use of artificial milk for a baby whose mom is capable of exclusive breastmilk-feeding and encourage her to better establish whether there is indeed a need for supplementation and if so, what other source might be available.

 Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC