From:
Joi Straaten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:24:01 -0800
Just saw our local news, the family who had their son taken away by DCFS
last June for being vegan, were reunited with the child today!!  He's been
living with relatives since last summer.  The were allowed to keep their
other 2 children during this time without their son, and docs claim the
youngest child was malnourished and lacking B12, that's why he was removed
from the home...the parents said on tonights news that their doc is
supportive of the diet, and they will have to have the child weighed
regularly with the 'experts'...
I was told yesterday by my pediatrician (woman, pregnant with her first)
that my 18 mo old daughter, Isabella, is 'of concern' to her, because she's
in the -3rd for weight and 10% for height.  She advised me to start
pediasure, fried foods, fats of all kinds and cream on her cereal (we're
dairy free, which she seemed to forget) I told her that Isabella eats
everything, and all day, and I haven't found anything she *won't* eat as of
yet! She also advised me to bring her back in 3 mos for a weight check.  She
seems to also have forgotten that both my older girls are tiny, I'm 5'0"
about 115, and my dh is 5'10"...she was also 'alarmed' that Isabella is
'still nursing more than once a night'...my husband watched the news about
the vegan family, and then responded with, "Who's to say our ped couldn't
call DCFS because we have an underweight baby (according to her)who's still
nursing at night, or that our children are non-vaxed?"  What is this world
coming to????
Thanks for letting me rant...
Joi
LLLLeader who's thinking of becoming a LC to help others under the influence
of misinformed docs (and missing my naturopath ped from NH...)

One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/