Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:18:59 EDT
Does anyone have a policy/procedure/informed consent  for use of nipple
shields. We are looking at tighting up the use of these at our hospital.  If
you have one to share I would appreciate it. I helped write one years ago at
a different facility and it had a paragraph that the mother signed that
listed the reason for the shield, the risks associated with its use, and a
plan for follow-up to assess discontinuation or further use. Am I missing
anything?
I also am interested in the discussion on weaning a baby from a shield with
mom with an inverted nipple. We had this discussion at work today. The baby
we were discussing was 2 months old and refuses to nurse without it. Once
again, we need the magic wand to wave over the baby and make things right!
Is anyone going to the Texas BFing Summit next week? I'll be there-probably
tired, since I am driving out with my parents who both are elderly, walk with
canes or assistance. We will be visiting relatives along the way and while in
Texas.

Barb Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC