From:
Leibovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:46:48 +0300
Pamela,

I know of a mother, a friend of ours, who pumped for a baby for a whole
year. She is diabetic, had several complications in pregnancy, baby in NICU
for several weeks, and just wouldn't latch to her breast. She breastfed two
babies before this one, and one after, and believes in the importance of bf
in preventing diabetes, so she fed this baby only breastmilk. She used to
pump after every feed for the next feed, and besides had some bottles stored.
Another mother I talked to recently has a baby who just wouldn't latch
after a normal birth. She has already pumped and bottlefed for three
months, and has a freezer full of breastmilk which she hopes will last for
another three months. She decided she wants the baby to have breastmilk for
6 months, and will soon stop pumping. She might be giving some formula
feeds during the day, I'm not sure. She pumps about 4 times a day and gets
more than a litre (!!) every day.

So it can be done!

Mira Leibovich, MD
Family Physician