Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:14:42 EDT
Janice has brought up an increasingly common scenario. NABA has been
receiving daily reports from health professionals about mothers asking for
the "breast milk formula." The marketing tactics for the two formulas with
the added fatty acids has gotten so aggressive that I called the Federal
Trade Commission (FTC) and lodged a complaint. During our conversation I was
informed that if the FTC receives a high enough volume of complaints it will
look into the problem. As I wrote in Selling Out Mothers and Babies, the FTC
is one of the few recourses we have right now to protect families from the
unknown side effects of these formulas. If 2000 Lactnetters called or
e-mailed their complaint to the FTC it would go a long way in helping rid
this hazard to babies.

Also, I am sure that many of you are aware that the formula companies using
the new fatty acid blend have been required by the FDA to conduct post market
surveillance on these products, assessing if there are any side effects. The
Institute of Medicine is conducting a two year study on the SAFETY of these
formulas. This is a massive uncontrolled trial being sneaked by parents and
professionals. It completely bypasses informed consent.

NABA has received a number of reports from health professionals who describe
the formula salesman walking into the maternity unit, removing all of their
standard formula and replacing it with the new one. This formula has been
replaced without the consent of any physician, administrator, nutritionist,
nurse, etc. Parents are not informed that this switch has occurred, do not
have any say in which formula their baby is given, are not informed of the
possible side effects of these formulas, do not give permission for this
switch, and have received this formula in discharge bags designated for
breastfeeding mothers.

The fatty acids are derived from fermented microalgae (DHA) and soil fungus
(ARA). They do not come from a human source! One of the side effects of the
DHA source is steatorrhea (loss of fat through the stools). NABA has received
two reports of babies experiencing diarrhea after consuming one of these
formulas. I wonder if these babies are losing fat and other nutrients through
the stools.

The FDA is also conducting a series of hearings on these formulas. I wonder
how many babies' health will be sacrificed on the alter of greed and profits?

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA