From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:46:09 +1000
I checked out relactation/induced lactation section in the newest edition of
Riordan and Auerbach over the weekend. I was disappointed that a lot of good
information seems to have been removed and some ordinary info (specifically
in relation to breastfeeding of older adopted babies) has remained. However,
some of the (in my opinion) questionable information considering motivations
to breastfeed have been removed which is a good thing I guess but overall I
was disappointed.

I have been emailing with Elizabeth Hormman recently who is a long time
researcher in adoptive breastfeeding and author of the WHO booklet on
Relactation (which is a few years old now but still the most complete
summary of research in this area). Soon she will have her book on adoptive
breastfeeding published in English. I'm looking forward to it because at
present there really isn't any comprehensive book on breastfeeding that I
would recommend to an adoptive mother. I think that the new Australian
Breastfeeding Association booklet on relactation/adoptive breastfeeding is
good but I'm biased since that was my baby! and there's only so much you can
fit into 35 or so pages ;-)

Karleen Gribble
Australia