From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:10:44 -0800
I think the best bet for this mom would be the medical.  What it would do to
her to not pump for 12-14 hours.  Forget everything else.  I don't want to
come off as cold, but once you are in the military, the mission comes first.
It is still a man's military as evidence by lack of good quality medical
care
for women, active duty and dependents alike.

I would second this.  I am a veteran of the US Navy and while still serving
I gave birth to my now 5 year old son.  I pumped for a full year with NO
support from my chain of command.  I was in a sea going helicopter squadron.
My immediate supervisor was a male, who was mildly supportive of my pumping
(his wife breastfed their kids) but underneath it all was the MISSION.  Many
times I had to go without pumping, to the point of very engorged breasts and
leaking stains on my uniform, because the aircraft had to fly.  My next in
command was a female who was NOT supportive.  Her comment to me was along
the lines of "Why don't you just feed him formula, we don't have to give you
breaks to pump. Formula is just as good, and your job is here, not with your
baby."  I won't mention that my male co-workers were given 10 minute breaks
every hour to go smoke. GRRR
Anyway, the soldier on gate duty should definitely try to bring up the
medical problems associated (mastitis and severe engorgement)  don't touch
the formula thing, as most in the military (esp. military doctors) don't
know or care about the vast differences between formula and breastmilk.

Good luck to her and her little one..it is very worth it to keep pumping
that first year!

WarmLLLy,

Robyn Roche-Paull
LLL Leader, San Diego South Bay