Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:17:15 -0500
Let me begin by saying that my experience with lasix, digoxin, and weight
gain (or lack thereof) is mostly personal.  My oldest child, now 5yo, was
born with AV Canal.  In my own uncontrolled study of one, I would notice
that the slowing of weight gain would precede the need to increase the med
doses.  Almost all ped cardiology texts state that "poor feeding" is the
first sign of impending congestive heart failure in babies.  Or, as our ped
card explained to me, feeding in an infant is like a treadmill test in an
adult.  Each time, after he would increase the med doses, there would be an
initial lag while the diuresis took place, then she would start to gain
again, once her cardiac function improved.  All that having been said, the
card did also tell me that both lasix and digoxin seem to have appetite
suppressant effects in babies, though not necessarily in adults.

Beckt Saenz, MD, IBCLC
mother of Janette, 5yo, who now takes gymnastics lessons!