From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:55:18 -0500
I had been working with a deaf mom who had engorgement .  The first time she had a hearing relative call me and I had suggested trying cabbage.  (Incidentally, when I suggest it, I try to state we don't know just how it works, but many moms report it does help and since it doesn't appear to do any harm and is cheap, it's worth a try.)  A few days later she called me back via a TTY service.  This is where the deaf caller uses a special typewriter via phone to a person who then reads her messages to a third party over regular phone and you converse back and forth through the middle man who has both the TTY and a phone.  Normally, the person relaying the message is suposed to stay out of the conversation.  In fact, I would say, "Tell her.........." and he would correct me saying I should talk if as speaking directly to her.  He relayed this from her-"The cabbage worked great!  My breasts are soft now." and then asked me, "Did I get that right?" sounding very puzzled.  When I explained what it meant he said he thought that was the wildest message he had ever passed along.

Winnie