From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:00:20 -0700
Natalie,

Thanks for reminding me of the crazy situation I once found my self...Chele
Marmet had located a LLLeader who was breastfeeding and willing to be a
"guinea pig" ...but the Japanese expert who was going to show her what she
did was no where to be found...finally Chele found the expert - but no
mom...so she grabbed the first mom she could find...and then me (I was
innocently walking down the hall, but who says not to Chele?)...to take
notes.

Next thing I know I'm in Chele's hotel room, the mom is flat on her back
with the Japanese lady, a translator, Chele and me hovering over her and me
writing furiously what Chele saw the Japanese lady (who didn't speak
English) do....

Now, probably 20 years later...I think I saw "reverse pressure softening"
and "lymphatic massage" performed!  At the time (I don't know if this still
continues) many Japanese women paid to have their breasts massaged and felt
that they would be unable to get a good milk supply unless they had an e
xpert come and perform the massage.

It's amazing to think how we have progressed - and how much more we need to
learn from other cultures who have been supporting breastfeeding in their
own ways.  At times, these methods may seem unnecessary or even defeating
(what if you can't pay for a masseuse?) but before discounting them, we
need to see them...and process them.

That's what Lactnet does for us!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]