From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 08:27:14 -0500
Dear Cindy, I think our focus changes as our needs change.  When my babies
were little I went to conf. to get a boost and share the like-mindedness of
it all.  Pumped me up.  Now that my income depends on babies/children I'm
going to learn and tend to be less tolerant of noises.  After all I PAID to
learn.  Fortunately my years of LLL immersion temper my thoughts!  But
there are attendees who have come to our meetings by a different route.
And they don't understand.
I really agree with another reader that we need to make confs baby
friendly. Maybe this is something we've just taken for granted as ILCA and
ILCA chapters, hospitals etc.  But maybe we need to pay attention to being
baby friendly in ALL places, confs included.  Think of how outraged we all
get when a mom is told to button up at McDs or the local W-mart.  Is being
bothered at a conf any different?
Plenty of room around the edges of the room.  Rows spacious, not packed
TIGHT (like hotel workers like to do-you know you feel like you're half in
your neighbor's lap)  Adjacent room with piped in audio would be fantastic,
but probably too expensive as these things go.  Toddler sitters and a
toddler playroom would be essential to my mind.  I always took a teen
sitter.  Dad would be great too and I see lots of Grandmas at meetings.
Just my 2 cents.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ