From:
The Shillings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:25:54 -0700
With the recent posts about Target, my memory was jostled and I remember
wanting to post an interesting interaction I had via e-mail with a Wal-Mart
representative.  I had written them about their marketing of Parent's
Choice.  I wrote him asking permission to post his entire response to
Lacnet but he never responded.  Here is part of his response:
" In all of our marketing
materials we have tried to go above and beyond current marketing
practices in addressing the "breast is best" message in an honest and
straightforward manner.  For example, our Parents' Choice brochure
states: "We've all heard that breast milk is best for a baby and indeed
it is.  Breast milk contains hormones, active enzymes and other
compounds that cannot be replicated in any infant formula."  Please be
assured that there is no underlying campaign to "convert" breastfeeding
mothers to formula, nor do our sales of formula suggest that this is
occurring, since our total sales of formula have not increased since
Parents Choice was put on the shelf.

You may not be aware that the U.S. has not adopted the WHO code for the
marketing of breastmilk substitutes.  However, Wal-Mart fully supports
the spirit and intent of the code, which is to promote breastfeeding,
and the proper use, marketing and distribution of breastmilk
substitutes. "

I of course have written him back about the WHO code but have never heard a
response.  His closing paragraph stated that they appreciate hearing from
customers and try to respond.  I encourage all Wal-Mart customers to
contact him if you have concerns about their marketing of Parent's Choice.
His name is Yale Martin and is address is [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Teri Shilling, MS, IBCLC, CD, LCCE
in cold Colorado, USA