From:
Lydia de Raad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:41:49 +0200
This bothers me - the idea that breastfeeding is "alternative medicine".
Gee whiz.  Like eating real food is an alternative diet whereas having a can
of ensure and a handful of vitamins is the real deal.  This is really
getting to me.  Where are all the dietician/nutritionists, etc. out there?
There are definitely "alternative" nutritionists who push herbal supplements
over real food here in the USA and say that real food is just not good
enough because -- fill in the blank (you don't eat the right kinds of food
so your milk isn't any good).  Is anyone else out there as incensed by this
ridiculous notion?  I can understand if you have a physical problem that
prevents digestion so you have to eat unusually to accommodate it (or you
might die).  Where is the common sense?  It makes sense to change things
when death is the alternative, but. To me, any other reason is ridiculous
and just a product of easy times.

------Mmmmm, Jane, I think you are jumping to conclusions here. Medical
practice is not the same everywhere around the world. The discussion is not
about the product (breastfeeding) IBCLC's work with. The discussion is about
the rules, guidelines, regulations etc. *in my country*.
To be an official medical profession in my country, you need to have a
certain education, which is validated by Dutch medical standards. The
IBCLC's don't have that. You need a diploma that is internationally
recognized, the IBCLC's don't have that. Yes - it's recognized by the ILCA,
but not by external medical standards in the Netherlands. And you need to
have a job-profile and the making and registration of that costs lots of
money.
As long as you don't have these things, you are seen as "alternative" and to
the IBCLC's that is not something they are very worried about (I think). Lot
of insurances pay LC-consultation anyhow. To patients the risk is larger:
they have no possibility to complain if things don't work out well.

Lydia, LLL, Netherlands
~~~ The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures
the disease. - Voltaire~~