Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:29:02 EST
Mom came to see me with a bad case of thrush.  Stated she had asked her
obstetrician for help and was told "there is no such thing as ductal thrush".
 Doctor  proceeded to give her antibiotics (!) for her
"mastitis"...amazing...she had no fever, no chills, no flu like symptoms, no
redness, no swelling, no lump.  Thrush got worse and that is when she came to
see me (baby 6 weeks old at that time).  I faxed the doctor an article on a
study on diflucan from JHL and Tom Hale's info from his book.  When I saw the
doctor in the hall the next day, she said "I do not order diflucan for
nursing mothers.  There are no controlled studies done on the safety of
diflucan and the PDR states it is not recommended for nursing mothers."  Is
that true??? No clinical trials on diflucan??  Please advise.  TIA.  Loni
Denman, RN, IBCLC