Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2006 01:29:07 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I've been way back on reading (there were 112 LN posts in my mailbox!) So I sat down at this early saterday morning and read them all thru. it gave me 2,5 hours of joy. Due to the limited # posts allowed I just wrote down all my thoughts and comments in a Word file and clipped-and-pasted them together in one post.

On Breastfeeding and quality of motherhood:
  *     Is there any data on child abuse in relation to infant feeding method?
  *     About other caring people ‘’without breasts’’: I think being with a baby, caring intensely and having lots of skin to skin even without actual mouth-breast contact will probably have effects comparable to actual breastfeeding. But if not breastfeeding this will need actual decisions to do, where a breastfeeding mom will more naturally be with and hold her baby.
  *    About mothers quitting breastfeeding easily because of alle kinds of minor reasons: Breastfeeding ‘’the bottle way’’ (scheduled and restricted) will probably not do enough with hormones to do the job of keeping breastfeeding, I guess
  *     In my corner of the world non-breastfeeding mothers tend to reply that I (or the ‘’BF mafia’’) say that they are bad moms because they did not choose to breastfeed whenever I try to explain that not breastfeeding will increase a baby’s risks of getting ill. The part on how the act of breastfeeding itself (not the choice to or not) may or may not influence the quality of motherhood is way out of sight and would probably be the start of a civil war on various forums and lists.
  *     Also in this corner ‘’breastmilkfeeding’’ is on the rise. A growing part of moms is aware of the ‘’health advantages’’ of breastfeeding and think they can get this by feeding the milk and not feed at breast. They interchange the words ‘’breastfeeding’’ and ‘’mother’s milk’’, so they call it they ‘’express their breastfeeding’’. They get frantic whenever someone raises the idea that they are not actually breastfeeding.

Is not-breastfeeding the risk or is it the ABM
  *    I think it is the not-breastfeeding that makes the risk. It is the not-getting the nutrients in the milk, not-getting the antibacterial, antiviral and anti-yeast (can’t get the right word here) components in it. ABM is not poison, it just is not the stuff that a baby needs. Not getting what they need is what makes some babies ill or that may even kill some.
  *     Only in cases of polluted ABM and bottle-feeds that are prepared wrongly the ABM is the real cause of illness or death

On marketing ABM
  * The only way I think of totally eliminating marketing is to only sell it at pharmacies only as generic (brandless) food for special circumstances. 

Warmly greeting from cloudy, coldish southern Netherlands

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL, MOM, grandma2B

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2