From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:10:19 -0400
"(I am a new IBCLC, too, but because there are
other breastfeeding educators in our practice who aren't IBCLCs, I'm not
supposed to identify myself as such, as that would make them look
inferior--don't ask!)."

Whoah! What is *that*?! I know you said "don't ask", Patricia, but it seems
to me that that is highly unethical (on their part, to expect you to not
identify yourself correctly, not yours). Do you know anybody who would, for
example, want to go to a dentists' office where some of the "dentists" were
duly-certified dentists and others were just *saying* they were dentists and
*acting like* dentists, and you didn't know which was which?

"There is a current struggle going on with how much assistance "we" are to
give while they are still inpatients."

Yikes! And wait, there's more...

"Spoke with pediatrician who did not want to
hear about this woman's breast surgery or her lack of breast changes. He
is breastfeeding friendly, but I suspect he may not know (or feel the
need to know) the implications of this information."

I think (not that you asked, and I don't mean to offend!) that you are
working in a very breastfeeding-*hostile* environment! And, as one who's
been there, I commiserate. But it makes me very angry that both the peds
group and the hospital are passing themselves off as being BF-friendly.

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY