From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:46:33 -0500
Pearl
I just did the arithmetic (assuming that the current weight is 8
pounds).  That gives us a weight gain of 5.3 ounces a week - perfectly
respectable.  Do either of the parents have a small build?
What were their infancy growth patterns like?
You also didn't mention if there are other siblings and what their growth
patterns were in early infancy.
I have known babies who seemed to do fine on short active feeding
patterns.  This is why we say that babies are more effective than
breastpumps.  I imagine that the physician has checked for urinary tract
problems -kidney and UTI, cardiac problems and the other medical conditions
that can cause very slow weight gain

If the concern about the weight gain is serious I would
consider one or more of the following (they are in no particular order
just how they come to mind):
1- One breast per feeding being receptive to early feeding cues so that
the second breast is offered after an appropriate interval (1 1/2 - 2 hours)
2- Using a pump after each nursing (pump people help me out on how long
to pump) in order to completely  empty the breast that was just used.
Cup or dropper or spoon feed the expressed rich hind milk.
3- Carrying the baby in a fabric carrier of the type that allows skin to
skin contact.  Baby clad in only a diaper and Mom with no bra or shirt.
To keep everyone warm a maternity shirt or very large sized men's T shirt
can be worn over BOTH of them.  Sort of like Kangaroo care but a carrier
is doing the holding leaving hands free for other things.
4- Using fenugreek or other herbs to help increase the milk supply.
5- Make sure that there is at least one feeding between midnight and 5
AM, even if this means that the parents have to set an alarm.
6- get a second opinion

Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon