From:
"Mading, Winifred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:45:32 -0500
For demonstrating at breastfeeding classes or staff inservices, I find that
a "natural size" doll from a toy store is just fine.  I think the benefit to
something like "Lactessa" is the fact that you can put your finger in the
mouth and show how to evaluate oral anatomy and suck.  For positioning,
however, nearly anything will do.  When visiting with moms postpartum in the
hospital, I do not take a doll with me.  You'd be surprised at the variety
of "creatures" I have "nursed" in demonstrating latch, positioning etc.  I
nearly always find some kind of doll or stuffed animal  in mom's room
whether it belongs to baby's big brother or sister or whether it was given
to mom as a gift.  I have used everything from Beanie Babies to huge teddy
bears to show the principle of holding baby so he can get the lower jaw on
effectively or why cross-cradle may help him latch better at the beginning
than the more traditional cradle hold.  I can show how mom's fingers should
support at baby's neck rather than pushing on the back of the head.  I have
even used the nose of a stuffed animal to show how to place fingers for hand
expression or breast support!

Winnie