Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 17:01:02 EDT
to give the short answer to kathy's eloquent questions, and the same echoed
by other posters, especially when comparing our american standards to those
of other countries, especially scandinavian. why don't we have better
circumstances for our children? the short answer is, we have too many
children. they aren't valuable to our society. there are plenty of them.
especially the "wrong" people, poor people, non-white people, etc. there is
still this fantasy that "good, white, middle-class" families can have one
working parent and still have a home and car and piano lessons and nice
clothes for everyone, and that other, poorer families must make do because
their poverty is some sort of representation of their unworthiness.

just ask liz baldwin. why does our legal system disregard the human rights of
our children and allow what appears to "us" to be hideously cruel situations
to persist? we don't value our children in this country. the legal system
follows the feeling of the community at large, rather than leading the way,
is her explanation. only when people truly value their children will things
change.

that's what i mean about plastic baby seats; in a decent society, people
would want to hold the babies, not look at you like you are the scum of the
earth because you brought a baby with you somewhere inappropriate. "everyone"
would accept that a mother needed someone to hold the baby once in a while so
she could write a check, stretch, whatever. in my household, the arrival of a
baby to keep for a few hours is heralded by a chorus of "let me hold him"
from all my children. yep, boys too. but i have a secret fear that if they
grow up thinking this is normal, they will run into people who will assume
they are perverts.

i know, babies are cute accessories.

and i have a long laundry list of the cost of staying at home. that's why i
am trying to work now. economic collapse is imminent. there's gotta be a
better way, and kathy is right, if we don't demand it, we are acquiescing.

carol brussel IBCLC
laura nevada lactation
denver colorado, ground zero for proof  that our current system does not work!