From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 00:51:32 -0400
Hello fellow Lactnetters,
About this peroxide thing;  I had severely traumatized nipples due to my
youngst sons incorrect suck and bubble palate.  I, too was told to use
peroxide, full strength on my nipples.  I did this one time and one time
only.  It was EXCRUTIATING!!!  Yes, I yelled and sobbed when I did it.  I
washed it off as quickly as possible, but the pain took a while to go away.
 The person, a nurse at my hospital, told me that "it won't hurt, Dear."  I
called her later that day and set her straight.  I recall not being very nice
about it either.  But, I think she understood and forgave me. :)  Anyway, I
think that if I had been told to dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with water that would
have made a BIG difference.  I would NEVER reccommend full strength peroxide
on cracked and bleeding nipples.  The pain of the nipples is bad enough
without adding peroxide to it.  When you get a nasty cut  or a large scrape
and you pour peroxide on it, it stings right?  Well, do that to already sore
nipples and you can kiss composure goodbye.  It hurts like He__, guys.

Janet
LC2B adding her .02

Sacramento, CA