From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:53:23 +1000
Shirley,
I don't think there is any shortage of tragedy in this situation and I don't
think we need to rate tragedies worthy of consideration. The situation with
those children has been in our newspapers repeatedly for several days and I
don't think I'm alone in having had a cry about it and just imagining how
awful is was there. However, the article yesterday was the first mention of
breastfeeding. Having kept an eye on US news about this I also have read
that in the same place there have been babies that are variously described
as dying from dehydration or heat exhaustion. I think that these
descriptions are euphemisms for died because they were formula fed and their
mother had nothing to give. Why have we not heard of those tragedies?
Yesterday, they started describing disease outbreaks in shelters, we know
from WHO that in emergency situations babies that are not breastfed are much
more likely to succumb to fatal illness (from memory it 1800% increase death
for diarrhoeal disease, 200% increase for respiratory disease). Now things
are getting under control, perhaps those risks are not as large but I think
I can say that we who know how important breastfeeding can be, are worried
mostly because no one else seems to be worried.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

> Yes, but what else did the article say???  The little boy and girl inthe
bathroom??? They had been raped and strangled and we are worried the about
the baby beingbreastfed!!!!!! Now that's really sad.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/defying-the-odds/2005/09/05/1125772465656.h