Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:54:00 -0400
Hi, I'm looking for some advice/opinions.  permission from mom to post:

here's the story;  Mom, first baby, healthy, no problems during pregnancy or labor (I also delivered this baby at home, no problems, perfect birth).  Baby is a voracious sucker, has some problems clamping down and also with some tongue curling.  Teach her tongue training, palate seems fine, frenulum looks good. Some issues with moms nipple size and small baby mouth.  Wants to suck and nurse most of the time.  After a few days, mom's nipples start cracking/sore.  She has been doing breast compression (aka jack newman), one-sided nursing for 2 feeds in a row, and basically nursing on demand as much as she can tolerate.  No nipples or pacifiers.  At one week, she gets some nipples shields to help nipples heal, that works great, gradually weaning back off after about 3 days of use.
Birthweight: 5lbs 14oz
Weight at ped (different scale than mine) at 3 days: 5lbs.8.5oz.
Weight today at 14 days: 5lbs.5oz.

Baby nursed at office, reweighed, 2oz gain.  No jaundice (never had, always looked good), good poops, obvious letdowns, mom on no meds, good diet, no excessive fussiness, developmentally OK, awake, alert, no lethary.  Doctor and nurse watch nursing and say baby looks good and they can hear swallowing.

They are freaked about the weight loss and want her to see another LC (apparently they don't think I'm doing a good job) and they want to admit tomorrow if no weight gain.

What am I missing?  What else should she be doing?  I don't have a problem with her seeing another LC, I am friends with them and I know they will do a good job, I told her maybe someone else with fresh eyes might have some insight, but she doesn't want to go sit at the hospital with baby (I have home office and do home visits).

I am open to any and all suggestions!  Also, any studies to support normal weight loss?  I admit, I am puzzled and not sure what else to suggest.

TIA,
Barb Cavanaugh RN, BSN, IBCLC, Midwife
Centralpabirthlactation.50megs.com