From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 23:16:00 -0500
Dear Amy,
Glad you asked!

 While I also feel that routine circumcision is unnecessary, over-performed,
and there is lack of informed consent, for us Jews,circumcision is a pact
that we  have "signed" with G-d for eternity, yes, signed with our blood. The
fact that we wait til the 8th day (or longer if the baby is sickly,
jaundiced, SGA, etc) means that baby's blood can coagulate-clotting factor is
now being manufactured by the baby.  We make a big deal about this "surgery",
regarding when it takes place unlike what goes on routinely where babies are
"circed" at day 3 (before hosp. discharge) or now probably by day 1. . Did
you know that one reason babies are given Vit K shots is bec. of the early
circs done in hospital?
In Soviet Russia circumcision was BANNED for 70 years. When young Jewish men
come to the US or Israel or wherever in the free world, they are proud to be
circumcised as adults in order to be entered into the "covenant of Abraham".
When adults have needed for be circed for medical reasons, they can still
enjoy sex and circumcision doesn't reduce sensation. Judaism does not forbid
sexual pleasure; it's part of the human experience.  The Jewish male signs a
marriage contract in which he promises to provide for his wife's sexual needs
as well as her needs for food and clothing. Infertile couples can still enjoy
sex even though they can't procreate.
I dropped my membership in ICEA because they were always going on and on
about circumcision. It seems reminiscent of the  medieval forced public
"debates"  to believe that the Jews will ever give up on this. I don't think
that there is any comparison to so called female circumcision, certainly a
misnomer if ever there was one. I think that we have our own problems in the
United States with child abuse/female abuse that we need to fix.

Now back to how circumcision can affect breastfeeding initiation. Most Jewish
 Orthodox women breastfeed, and for extended periods. It's all part of the
baby's birthright. But there are problems that can arise; for example, if the
baby is jaundiced (as mentioned above) the "brit milah" is postponed. If
someone mistakenly believes that it is imperative to perform the brit on day
8, this can lead to problems-some mothers will opt to wait to initiate
breastfeeding in the mistaken belief that jaundice is caused by
breastfeeding. This is a big issue in my community and at our La Leche League
meetings we have lots of discussion about this. It's an exciting topic and
lots of people have been educated about the necessity of frequent feeds and
"non-breastfeeding" jaundice.  As I said above, the circ is done when the
baby is well; if it is postponed due to jaundice, so be it. I believe that in
years gone by jaundice might well have been an illness, that it wasn't so
frequent as it is now so that when it occurred, it might truly have indicated
a weakness in the baby. Now we feel that 1)it's caused by the vit. K shot (!)
which is given same dose, no matter what size baby 2)moms are so well fed
that there are lots of extra red blood cells 3) not cutting the cord
immediately can lead to normal physiologic jaundice which may indeed have
anti-oxidant properties and that we shouldn't be in a hurry to bring    down
via lights or whatever..  I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Cheston
Berlin; I asked him if it was a medical problem, to perform the circ if the
baby was jaundiced; he said no, but he would ask Dr. Marvin  Eiger about this
(a NYC  ped and med school  lecturer) (we were all at a conference together
in Staten Island)-he came back and said that Dr. eiger told him it was a
religious consideration. I loved it, he accepted something  BECAUSE it was
for religious reasons. Anyway, what can happen is that a mom wants to rent a
pump until after the brit, calls me, and I explain about freq. feeds that
will lead to lots of poopy diapers, etc. So I feel I can be helpful here, I
understand the situation. You might be surprised and come up  against this
some time! Please e mail me immediately!! Two of my three sons had "delayed"
circumcisions; only the third, whose cord was cut immediately (due to having
it around his neck!) had his "on time" (eighth day).
Hope this clarifies some things, expands on others!
Pearl