Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:21:43 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
My computer sent that last post before I was quite ready and I wanted to add this study in which female baboons were overfed during infancy. They were not more overweight at weaning, however, researchers found that they developed hypertrophic obesity after puberty and that they had higher triglyceride levels. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1548359 I believe there are a few more studies out there now too showing some negative impacts of obesity, heart disease and high cholesterol that are linked to overfeeding in infancy. Can anyone help out and post those? I find it interesting that in the U.S. during the 1960's most Pediatricians believed that babies were too edematous at birth and that they needed to shed some fluids. So they routinely did not let any babies eat at all for the first 24 hours of life, whether breast or bottle-fed. Now we've gone to the polar opposite. To a state of hyper-nutrition during the first few days. It's ridiculous. Why do we feel the need to swing from one polar opposite to the next? Good luck persuading your co-workers. It's really tough to be the lone voice of reason, but you can do it! Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLCWaukegan, IL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2