From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:37:45 -0400
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Flossie Rollhauser wrote

<<. . . after this experience, maybe Stacy could write to the Red Cross,
Salvation Army, and other relief organizations to share this point of
view from one affected so much by this storm (we can hope it will make
them stop and think.)>>

Flossie,
I think your idea is good-and it's a very generous interpretation of the
fact that somebody sent a truckload of formula to a U.S. disaster area.
When transportation, sanitation, and communication are compromised, the
emergency and relief agencies presumably try to send the supplies that
are most needed, and we know that babies who are not breastfed are at
high risk in such situations.  It strikes me as "a good story" that no
baby on the island needed the formula because they were all breastfed,
but it could also be a lesson that the agencies should do a needs
assessment before they waste their precious resources sending stuff that
nobody wants. The fire-fighters can put condensed milk in their coffee
for a lot lower cost and a lot better taste.

So here's another project for the breastfeeding community: to make a
link with emergency and relief services and figure out a way to make
that needs assessment process happen. Stacy's story is a great starting
place.

Chris

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
LLL Leader Reserve
working for WIC in South Jersey (Eastern USA)
Co-coordinator, Women & Work Task Force, WABA