From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:54:11 +0200
> I feel that it  isn't up to me to hide the fact that babies getting
formula
>have higher incidence of  insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, as on
>example.  If I, as a mother, knew that there were risks to my child from a
>certain procedure or intervention, I might make a different choice, find
>donor milk, borrow money to get it, fight the insurance company for it,
etc.
>If a mother is never informed of the true risks, she can never make an
>informed decision, and grave health consequences may occur for her infant.

I agree, especially since from what I have seen in my breastfeeding classes,
and at LLL meetings, many of the risks of formula are not widely known.
There is (at least around here) a general knowledge among the public that
breastfeeding is healthier and provides immunity.  These are the most
commonly mentioned advantages of breastfeeding by mothers and mothers to be.
However, I believe that more detailed information about of the risks of
formula actually does influence many mothers' choices of whether to
breastfeed, whether to persevere in overcoming difficulties, whether to pump
or feed formula when going back to work, etc.  The right to informed choice
belongs to everyone, and I think those of us with the knowledge are
obligated to share it.  I don't see where guilt has any place when we're
talking about research based facts.

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel