From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:37:30 -0700
 Well, I saw the show and took notes so I can reply to all the questions I'm
sure I'll get.  My question to all of you is....They talked about the mother
signing some kind of agreement to not supplement?  I'm not that familiar
with all the particualars...sounds like hogwash to me.
        This show was all too familiar unfortunately.  I had a mom recently who
called about pumping and going back to work.  She was concerned because she
could only pump 1 oz. with her Nurture III after 45 min of pumping.  I gave
her suggestions, encouraged her to try a rental pump and told her to come by
if she had questions and we'd weigh the baby if she liked.  Well... when the
baby came in he was 5oz. below birth wt at one month. Pretty scary.  Baby
was pretty perky and ate alllll the time.  The baby was admitted, worked up
medically an SNS etc. Reglan.  Supply improved and baby gaining OK now.  My
comment is this....I learned from experience...Phone call consults are
tricky.  You can't see the mother and baby, we all know this but this one
gave me a little scare...as it should to all of us.  The recent Chicago Hope
show illustrated this.... The mother had called the lactation consultant.
The show also illustrated the universal fear and concern of new parents
about their babies welfare.  I think the Baby Friendly stuff was the worst
shot!  I can just hear my supervisor, who is very against all "This Baby
Friendly garbage"  This is the damage I think we will have to work on.  I
only hope she didn't watch.  After the show our local affiliate had a nice
segment supporting breastfeeding from local lactation consultants and a
LaLeache League group, but nothing about Baby Friendly Hospital :(

The challange continues...
Linda Rosetti