From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:42:41 -0500
> Does that mean that we are incorrect in allowing Moms to 'smush' the
> babe's
> nose into the breast and not press the breast tissue out of the way?
>
> I certainly do not want to contribute to the death of an infant!

Royce, I guess I misunderstood what you were writing about.  Let me quote
myself:
" I also discourage moms from pressing a finger into the breast and I
allow noses to touch breast."

So, let's distinguish between a nose *touching* a breast and a nose
"smushed" into a breast.  A breast that is touched by a nose does not need
to be pressed away from that nose.  The airway is usually unobstructed.

"Usually" being the qualifier.  I've also seen those fleshy breasts that can
cover a nose that is anywhere close to it.  Usually, I can take care of that
problem by tilting baby's head back just a little. It's all about fit, isn't
it?  Size and shape of breast paired with size and positioning of baby.
They have to fit.

Rebreathing is not about breasts touching noses.  It's about a covered air
space.
Janet asked about babies covered in car seats.  I see that here in Texas
where our winters are very mild.  Yes, I want to snatch the blanket away and
talk about breathing room.

It scares me to think of my 25 years of counseling experience showing
mothers how to "cover up with a blanket for modesty."  My only consolation
is that this occurrence of rebreathing narcosis is so rare, we are only just
learning about it.

Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX