From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 1995 01:00:58 EDT
Almost all the physicians at the hospital where I work use dorsal penile nerve
blocks, but I still see babies having a difficult time nursing after the
procedure.  I've asked the nurses to get the babies right out to breast after
the circ, and they often nurse okay that time (the anesthetic is still in
effect???) but the rest of the day the baby is most often shut down.  I would
bet your experience is different because of the q4h Tylenol you order.  No one
here offers any pain control for when the block wears off.

<<Ultimately, it is their (the parents) choice, so I never talk anyone into or
out of a circ.>>  Seems to me that everyone has a right to an intact body, and
even though the procedure is simpler and heals faster in an infant, there is
that possibility that the choice the parents make will not be the choice the
baby would make as an adult.  You can circumcise later but it's darned hard to
grow that foreskin back.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC