Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:34:33 -0700
I have been reading all the posts on this subject and tend to agree with
everyone.  I too was an early baby, started out on breastmilk, but in an
effort to get my mother back down to 90 pounds, my father talked her into
weaning at two weeks (by 6 wks. pp she had lost over 60 pounds, all for my
less than wonderful father, but I digress!).  At two weeks I was in a nice
growth pattern, when I started on formula my weight went through the roof.
I have always had to struggle with my weight and will always wonder if I
wouldn't be if I had been bf.  My aunts and uncles too struggle, a product
of my grandmother not nursing because my grandfather told her "her boobs
would sag"  when she and I discussed this I merely asked "Well Grandma...
where are your boobs now?"  her reply... "sagging"  So while my grandmother
50 years ago fed with the "great and improved infant feeding method"  she
doomed her children, all 5 of them to a life of heart disease, diabetes, and
obesity, all 5 of them!  And because nursing wasn't an important part of her
life, it wasn't an important part of her children's, she never knew to
encourage it.  Now she sees the joy I have in nurturing my children (because
bfing is SO much more than feeding), and she has told me on more than one
occasion that if she had it to do over again, not only would she have told
my grandfather to deal with saggy boobs, but she would have told my father
just where he could put his perfect "image" of a thin wife so my mother
would have been more successful.

Education can change people, even if they don't want it to.  While there are
many children who survive on formula, there are also many who grow up trying
to survive what formula feeding may have done to them.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best
Certified Lactation Counselor