From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:11:50 -0400
I think more of a desensitivity training, truthfully. As (who was it?)
mentioned about the pumping with a curtain transition to pumping out in the
open, what this mother did was desensitize her coworkers. It's like training
with a phobia to say, spiders. You see a photo of a spider, and self-calm.
Then you see a spider in a cage. Self-calm. Then a spider out of a cage...

We have "successfully" desensitized the public to violence, rape, murder,
crises... We see it all the time, a horrible hurricane strikes the coast,
people get outraged, help out, and then after a time, the photos don't make
much of an effect, and "we" forget about it. It has become normal, and
therefore, nobody worries about it.

Maybe what these people need, instead of the continual repitition that "this
is normal" is to be shown photos of nursing/pumping mother/baby, and exposed
in films, spoken about freely (how many of us could say "breast" when we
were a teen, but can now speak freely in mixed company?), and finally
"exposed" to the real thing.

Oh, yah... That's what we're doing...

Best wishes,
Sam Doak
<<

Hello.

After yet another issue regarding "nursing in public", my local USLCA/ILCA
affiliate has decided to look into offering Breastfeeding Sensitivity
Training to local law enforcement employees and other
organizations/companies that may want/need this type of training.

Does such a training program already exist? We do not wish to reinvent the
wheel. I have not found anything specific on the web or via Lactnet.

Kindly reply off-list to [log in to unmask]

Wishing all a wonderful weekend.

Kindly,
Kate Cropp RNC, IBCLC, MSN
Mama to Henry & Elijah