From:
don hagreen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:12:15 -0700
I work as the full-time lactation consultant in a hospital with 1300 births/year.  We have a Level II NICU.   I would like to know how others sterilize electric breast pump parts when they are used in hospital when a mother is pumping her milk for her premature infant.  At present in our facility, these mothers use a new breast pump setup each time they pump and the parts are then sent to central processing for sterilization.  Our Infection Control officer does not wish us to use presept or hygeol preparations to clean the parts between use.  Are we being too stringent?  Would simple soap and water be sufficient, with the moms changing the parts every day...
TIA!

Jeanne Hagreen, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
"One LC in the wilderness"