From:
DANI HUDSPETH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 08:25:51 -0600
Dear fellow netters, I have a mom who delivered a 24 weeker about 3 months ago.  Baby is almost ready to go home (finally) after many set backs.  This mom has had high blood pressure this entire time - never had it before pregnancy.  Her doctor and I have been incontact many times trying to find a med that will correct this problem without compromising breastfeeding.  He is not pleased with her progress and is now (out of desperation) considering diuretics.  He has avoided using these heretofore, after being advised that diuretics could further decrease mom's already low milk supply.  He asked mom to ask me about Maxide - a combination of hydrochlorothiazide and triamterene.  We give some BPD infants hydrochlorothiazide, and so are comfortable with this med and breastfeeding (as far as effects on baby).  I could not find triamterene in Dr. Tom's book.  In the Briggs book, I believe it said no data available.  Also, I'm not sure if he has tried aldactone, Hygroton, or even Lasix.  If anyone could tell me info you know about Maxide, I would appreciate it.  Dr. Tom?

Thanks!!
Dani Hudspeth BSN, RN, IBCLC