From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:33:57 -0800
 Susan:  I haven't said anything until now because everyone in Oregon seems
to think I'm a yeast fanatic, but...I have seen many babies with frequent
stools and unrelenting diaper rash who have turned out to have a yeast
overgrowth in their intestines.  When they're treated for yeast (not
through Nystatin, but with prescription Mycelex trouches orally, Nizoral
topically, and oral acidophilus powder), they clear up remarkably.  I also
happen to have a 23 month old who is actually allergic to yeast.  If he
even gets a speck of bread, pretzel or anything that we hide yeast in, he
has violent stools and an immediate rash.  Unfortunately, I was accused of
"neglecting to change my baby frequently enough or not bathing him" by a
substitute pediatrician of  who didn't know about his allergy
(trying...reading his chart).  Anyway, it's horrible as a mother to have
anyone insinuate such a thing, especially when   you've been soaking your
child in baking soda baths several times per day.  Some babies who are
severely allergic react to anything the mom eats with yeast or that has
been fermented....'just a possibility.
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**