From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:17:11 -0700
Jeanne,
Lactnet is a forum for those who work in Lactation,
and, absolutely, sometimes it is used to ventilate
frustrations.  It is an international "lounge", if you
will, a "virtual living room", where we can all get
support and advice.

There is still a great deal of mythology,
mis-information, and ignorance out there about
breastfeeding and human lactation, among other health
care providers/volunteers and in the general public as
well.  Personal, cultural, and societal issues come
into play and affect people's perspectives.  This is
just part of the field, at this point in time. Some
days, I feel as though this is *all* I deal with,
from every quarter (I work at a hospital, doing
bedside
consultations).

Then there are the payoffs...got a call the other day
from a CLE in our breastfeeding boutique who needed
some spare parts for a mom.  Went to the boutique with
the parts, started to leave, and heard a voice
calling, "I know her...that's my Lactation
Consultant!"  Another mom, whom I had met at the
bedside several months before, had spotted me.  She
invited me over to the stroller to meet the baby, who
was gorgeous, smiling, cooing, and wriggling.  I asked
Mom how BFing was going, and she said, "Oh, we just
LOVE it, it's the greatest thing I've ever done!"  She
was enraptured, as was I.

If there was ever a day I was glad for waterproof
mascara, this was it.  This mom probably does not
realize it, but her dose of "soul food" is going to
keep me going for a looong time...
It is worth it.  It is worth it.  It is worth it!
Carole Jernigan
IBCLC, RN, BSN
Mary Birch Hospital for Women
San Diego, California